22 May 2012

Taffy blouse



I've just finished my first creation from a Colette pattern. After lusting for it for ages I finally bought the Colette sewing handbook at the ABC. I couldn't get over my luck when I saw the book in the shop, I even got student discount. Even better!

It's a great book!! I recommend it to every seamstress, even beginners. The first pattern that caught my attention was the Taffy blouse. An easy project to begin with and impossible to end in failure. This is the Taffy example from Colette:


The fabric I had in mind for my Taffy was something that had been lying around for ages and I can't even remember when I bought it. But I did remember I didn't spend that much money on it, so it wouldn't be a waste when my Taffy would fail (which would be impossible, remember?).

Well, although the pattern would be foolproof, I did make a mistake. I didn't plan the layout of the patternpieces, so when I came to cutting the backpart... there wasn't enough fabric to put it on the fold...
I had to cut to pieces of the back and sew it together centre-back. Well, nothing serious wrong, it still looks nice enough to wear it.


The binding is made of dark blue duchesse sating biastape. I think it looks better than biastape of self fabric. The fabric was a pain in the *ss to cut and sew! It was so slippery!

In progress:



The result! The neckopening is a bit to big, one end tends to slip of my shoulder. And there's the possibility of brastrap showing (something I hate). Next time I'll make it, it will be a smaller size. But in the end, I'm satisfied with it. The easy thing about this blouse are the straps at the back. You can pull them in as much as you want and gives it a whole different look. So I really suggest you try this pattern!



Bye,
post signature

2 comments:

Kim @ craftyNHmom said...

Wow, I love your Taffy with the dots! I've been avoiding that pattern because of the slippery fabric. Great job! It looks very professional and flattering on you.

Welmoed said...

Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...