07 August 2012

40's flowers

waiting for the train

For years my favourite time in fashion is the 1940's and 1950's. I just love the look! And since I joined the wonderful world of reenactment I've been wanting to participate in a world war two event. Last weekend was the perfect WWII beginner-event: a steamtrain weekendevent with at every station a different period from the war. So there was at the first station a group that portrayed the military before the war, the mobilisation. And so it went on to the last station with the liberation. That was where most of the civilians were and so was I!
Of course, this event was a really great excuse to finally get to sewing 40's clothing. From top to bottom, I made the bra and drawers as well :D Perhaps some pictures of the lingerie later on...

It's made from the Simplicity 3417 pattern. There was one piece missing when I got it, but it was only the neckfacingpiece. No problemo, I could make that myself. To spare the old pattern I traced it on paper and  carefully measured it. The pattern said bust 34" and I'm a 36", so I was afraid it wouldn't fit. But after measuring I came to the conclusion that it would fit very well, because you have to gather it at the centerback into the skirt. And I always sneak in some ease at the seams, because I use a 1 cm seamallowance instead of 1,5 cm (0,5") as the pattern stated. But after sewing the skirtpieces together I noticed it was too big! Well, it fit, but just looked wrong. I just took it in a few centimeters to make it fit better. That worked and it looked much better.


The cotton fabric was a vintage find on a craft fair. I don't know how old it is, but I thought it had a forties vibe about it. The buttons are also vintage. I think they're from the 50's or 60's. Bought quite a lot of them (all different) a while back in a second-hand shop for only a few Euro's. The picture on the right is the bodice piece in making. The facings wasn't in place yet. The pattern is very easy to follow, there are a lot of drawings on how to sew it. The zipper (or slide-fastener) was a bit more tricky. In only a few sentences they explain on how to sew the zipper in place, so I had to re-read it to understand how to do it.


The belt was made from the same fabric and I covered a belt buckle in the same fabric. At first I thought the dress would look a bit psychedelic because of the colours and the flowers. But it worked out great and I love this dress! 

I posted some pictures of it on the Vintage Patterns Wiki.


post signature


Dasha Marlen said...

Wow! Great dress, great hair, great shoes :O I love that look!

Welmoed said...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...