A-line dress, fitted through bust, mid-knee length, has lined bodice with below waist seam, gathered at each side of shaped inset and overlaps to tie at left side. Instructions given to make shoulder pads. Option of snap or zipper closing at side. A: short sleeves. B: long sleeves with seam opening and snaps.
6, 8 & 10
Somehow I was very positive when I bought this pattern, because I thought I could fit in a size 10. After checking the inches in relation to the sizes I knew I had to size the pattern up to a size 12. I must admit I did this rather crude, I just put 5/8" extra on every side. As we all know... enlarging a pattern just doesn't work that way. So I had some troubles with it, but in the end I overcame it by fitting the dress and taking it in at some places. Especially the skirt pieces.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes. It looked like the picture and how I wanted it to be. I made view B.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
No, the pleats were a nightmare to do with the instructions. It could be because I usually don't read the instructions and sew it in my own way. But with this dress I really needed to read it to understand how the front bust section worked. I sewed the pleats the wrong way (up, instead of down). After checking the picture and drawing on the envelope I understood my pleats were wrong. So ripped it and started over. The sleeve instructions aren't very clear either, I still don't know if the pleats at the elbow should be on the inside or the outside of the arm... So it's now at the outside, but it just doesn't feel right. Something I might want to rip out and change in the future.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Dislike: The pleats in the sleeve and the way they finished the sleeve-wrist part. In the pattern it is a few inches open at the wrist. The sleeve was wide enough for me to fit my arm through, so I stitched the opening closed. Finished the end by using a biastape and a careful handstitch.
I also didn't like the way of the zipper construction. I changed it to a lapped zipper, much easier to construct. Sunni, from A Fashionable Stitch, made a great tutorial for a lapped zipper.
Some synthetic fiber, don't know what it is. It was a pain in the *ss to iron!
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
As I said before, changed the sleeves at the wrist and the zipper. O and I almost forgot... I forgot to put the front skirt part on the fold of fabric. So there's a seam in the center front of the skirt. But it's not something you'll notice right away. Changed the size of the diamond shaped centerpiece. I have a small upper body and after fitting it with the normal sized diamond, I knew it wouldn't look right. So took about 5/8"off every side of the diamond.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I really love the dress, but I don't know if I will sew it again, it is a rather complicated bust section. On the other hand, I now know how the pattern works so it will take me less time to sew. I recommend it to experienced sewists.
A challenging dress to sew, but I really love the result! I've worn it a couple of times and it really feels comfortable! And perhaps...after all... I could have saved me the trouble of enlarging the pattern and should have just used size 10. It would have fit me as well.
And a side view to finish the tied ends...That's the part I love about this dress, you can tie it as tight/loose as you want. Especially handy if you're in a restaurant and ate too much sushi...I always have to wear something adjustable when I eat sushi ;-)