In some of my previous posts I showed you my dresses made from Simplicity 3417, a 1940's dress pattern. It's a favorite pattern of mine and one of details I love are the sleeves.
Click on the dresses for more pictures:
I want to show you how the sleeves in my 1940's dresses are made. It's a special construction which gives the sleeve a really nice effect.
This is the result:
My steps in achieving these sleeves:
The pattern tells you to use a sheer fabric strip. I did it a little bit different. This was how I did it the first time using this pattern and have been doing it that way since. But I'm thinking about using that sheer strip the next time. It's all a matter of having sheer fabric in my stash... This time I used a fusible interfacing, to strengthen the seam and giving it a bit of body. Instead of sewing through the 'O's, I marked the O's and connected them with a line.
The pattern for the sleeve isn't that complicated, the gathered piece is just a slightly bit longer. It it possible to make this sleeve pattern for yourself, using a standard sleeve pattern and just lengthening the center part.
This is a bit more difficult to see on the picture. On the left side: next to the line from step 1, I've stitched two gathering lines, using the longest stitch length on my sewing machine.
On the right side: the gathering stitches are pulled until the two pieces fit on each other. Sew through both layers, right on the line from step 1. Finish the seam allowances the way you want, I did a zig-zag stitch.
The outside view from step 3, one side gathered.